In previous versions of Windows, you could freely arrange icons inside folders. However, this option has been removed from Windows 7 and all other versions appear after Windows 7.
If you miss this feature, then there is a way to disable automatic sorting in folders on Windows 10.
How to disable automatic sorting using Registry Editor
If you want to turn off automatic sorting within a folder, you need to do the following:
1. Open Registry Editor by pressing
R and type regedit in the input field.
2. Navigate to the following key on the left panel:
3. Now delete the Bag subkey .
4. Navigate to this key:
5. Delete the Bags subkey here again.
6. Navigate to this key:
7. Delete the Bags subkey here. Then close Registry Editor.
8. Open Task Manager by pressing
Esc . Locate Windows Explorer from the list of processes and click the Restart button .
9. Download the file disable-auto-arrange.zip.
10. Extract the files from the archive you just downloaded.
11. Run disableautoarrange.reg to add it to the registry.
12. Open This PC and close it.
13. Now, repeat step 6 to restart Windows Explorer.
The auto-sort feature will be disabled for now, and you can freely sort files in folders. It should be mentioned that this method only works for large icons view, medium icons, small icons, and ultra large icons.
How to turn off automatic sorting in File Explorer
To turn off automatic sorting in File Explorer, do the following:
1. Open any folder with File Explorer and right-click on empty space.
2. Go to View and make sure the Auto arrange option is unchecked.
3. If this option is turned off, you can easily arrange the items any way you want.
Alternatively, you can also combine the use of File Explorer and Registry Editor by doing steps 1 through 3 in How to turn off automatic sorting in File Explorer, and then continue to step 6 in How to disable automatic sorting using Registry Editor.
Use the Sort by option
There is still another method for organizing files and folders in File Explorer. There is an option called “Sort by” , which allows you to sort your files and folders according to different criteria, including file size, modified date, name, etc.
Of course, you can also choose to sort your files down or down alphabetically.
All operations are completed! Hope this article helped you disable automatic sorting within a directory successfully. If you have any questions, feel free to leave your comments in the comments below!
Hope you are succesful.