Display the file extension on Windows 10, Windows 7/8 will help you know what kind of file that file belongs to. Depending on the operating system, the operation to view file extensions differs. Below, make techin.com will guide you to show the file extension on all Windows versions.
1. Display file extension on Windows 10
To hide, show the file extension on Windows 10, follow the steps below:
Open File Explorer, then click the View tab in the Ribbon, check the File name extensions option.
Also, if you want to see hidden files and folders, check Hidden items.
– Different ways:
Open Control Panel by right-clicking the Start button in the bottom left corner, and selecting Control Panel.
On the Control Panel window select Appearance and Personalization.
Next, under File Explorer Options , click Show hidden files and folders.
On the File Explorer Options window, select Show hidden files, folders and drives and uncheck the option Hide extensions for known file types => Apply => OK .
Now you can see the file extension on your Windows 10 computer.
2. View file extension on Windows 7 / Vista
1. Open Windows Explorer, then click Organize in the top left corner, and select the Folder and Search option.
2. On the next window, click the View tab, then scroll down to find and uncheck the option of Hide file extensions for known file types.
3. View file extension on Windows 8
Open File explorer by pressing Windows + E, then click the View tab. Next, tick the option File name extensions to display file extensions or uncheck the option to hide file extensions.
Also, if you want to see hidden files then follow this guide.