Starting with Windows 10 2004 version, Windows Defender Offline was renamed Microsoft Defender Offline.
About Microsoft Defender Antivirus
Microsoft Defender Antivirus helps to protect your PC against malware (malware) such as viruses, spyware and other unwanted software. Malware can infect your PC without your knowledge: It can install itself from an email, when you connect to the Internet or when you install certain applications using a USB, CD, DVD, or media other portable convenience. Some malware can also be programmed to run at unexpected times, not just when it is installed.
Windows Defender Antivirus regularly scans your device to help stay safe. Windows tries to do this while you’re not using the device so it doesn’t interfere with your work. You can also schedule Windows Defender Antivirus to scan at the desired time and frequency.
This guide will show you how to schedule a scan in Microsoft Defender Antivirus on Windows 10.
How to schedule a scan in Microsoft Defender Antivirus on Windows 10
Here’s how to do it:
1. Press the
R keys to open Run , type taskchd.msc into Run and click OK to open Task Scheduler.
2. Expand the Task Scheduler Library> Microsoft> Windows folder in the left pane of Task Scheduler and click the Windows Defender folder .
3. Double-click the Windows Defender Scheduled Scan task in the middle pane of Task Scheduler.
4. Click the Triggers tab and click the New button .
5. Perform the following actions to create a new trigger:
A) Select On a schedule in the Begin the task drop-down menu.
B) Choose One time, Daily, Weekly or Monthly for how often you want to scan.
C) Choose when you want to scan in Start.
D) Click OK when done.
6. You should now see the new scheduled tasks listed. If you want to delete a scheduled task, select the task you want to delete and click the Delete button .
7. Click the Conditions tab, select or uncheck the Power setting below to know what you want, and click OK.
- Start the task only if the computer is on AC power
- Stop if the computer switches to battery power
- Wake the computer to run this task
8. Now, you can close Task Scheduler if you want.