In Windows, you can resize the File Explorer window, template, column width, Group by , Sort by, and the layout view of folder items the way you like. want.
This guide will show you how to reset folder view settings, preview width and details, and navigation width back to default options in Windows 10.
How to reset the view settings of all folders using a BAT file
The downloadable .bat file in this option contains commands that will reset all folders’ view settings to default.
1. Download the .bat Reset_Folder_View_Settings_of_All_Folders_to_Default.bat file.
(Content of .bat file for reference):
@echo off :: To reset folder view settings of all folders Reg Delete "HKCUSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsShellBagMRU" /F Reg Delete "HKCUSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsShellBags" /F Reg Delete "HKCUSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsShellNoRoamBags" /F Reg Delete "HKCUSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsShellNoRoamBagMRU" /F Reg Delete "HKCUSOFTWAREClassesLocal SettingsSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsShellBagMRU" /F Reg Delete "HKCUSOFTWAREClassesLocal SettingsSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsShellBags" /F Reg Delete "HKCUSOFTWAREClassesWow6432NodeLocal SettingsSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsShellBags" /F Reg Delete "HKCUSOFTWAREClassesWow6432NodeLocal SettingsSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsShellBagMRU" /F :: To reset "Apply to Folders" views to default REG Delete "HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerStreamsDefaults" /F :: To reset size of details, navigation, preview panes to default Reg Delete "HKCUSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerModulesGlobalSettingsSizer" /F :: To kill and restart explorer taskkill /f /im explorer.exe start explorer.exe
2. Save the .bat file to the desktop.
3. Unblock .bat files.
4. Double-click the .bat file to run it.
5. Now, you should notice your screen blinking when Explorer is restarted to apply registry changes.
How to reset only the view settings of a directory with the same template type as the current directory
1. Open the folder (eg Pictures in This PC ) in File Explorer ( Win + E ) with template (ex: template Pictures ) that you want to reset for all optimized folders with that same template .
2. Click the View tab and click the Options button in the ribbon to open Folder Options from within this folder.
3. Click the View tab in Folder Options and click the Reset Folders button .
4. Click Yes to confirm.
5. Click OK in Folder Option.
6. View settings of the current directory and all optimized folders with the same template type are now reset to default.
- How to reset a program on Windows to its default installation state