When you install multiple languages, Windows automatically installs additional keyboard layouts, depending on the language. When there are multiple key layouts, Windows displays a small icon on the taskbar.
This is called the language bar icon. It allows you to switch between different keyboard layouts. If the language icon on the taskbar is not to your liking, follow the steps shown below to quickly remove or hide the language icon on the Windows 10 Taskbar.
Hide language icons by setting icons on Taskbar
The language bar icon on the Taskbar is considered the system icon. As such, you can easily hide it through the settings on the taskbar. Here are the steps you need to follow.
1. Open Settings using the
I keyboard shortcut.
2. Go to the Personalization page .
3. On the Personalization page, click the Taskbar tab on the left panel.
4. Click Turn system icons on or off in the Notification Area section .
5. Turn off the Input Indicator option .
6. Changes are saved automatically.
7. Close the Settings app .
It’s done! You have successfully removed language icons from taskbar in Windows 10.
Turn off keyboard layout shortcuts
If you are not using multi-keyboard layout shortcut, it is better to disable the language switch shortcut. On the other hand, it’s pretty easy to trigger unwanted keyboard layout changes.
1. Open Settings.
2. Go to Devices.
3. Select Typing on the left panel.
4. Scroll down on the right page and click the Advanced Keyboard Settings link .
5. Click the Input language hotkeys link on this page.
6. Click the Change key sequence button.
7. Select the Not Assigned option in the Switch keyboard layout section.
8. Click OK.
9. Click Apply> OK .
10. Close Settings.
It’s done! You turned off the keyboard layout switch shortcut in Windows 10.
Remember this is completely optional. Only do this if you don’t want to switch keyboard layout using shortcuts. If you frequently switch between layouts, using shortcuts can be quite helpful. If necessary, you can change the shortcut to switch keyboard layout instead of turning it off completely.