What is Clean Boot State on Windows 10/8/7? How to perform Clean Boot? What is the difference between Safe Mode and Clean Boot State on Windows operating system? To answer these questions, please refer to the following articles of the Network Administrator.
Windows users are no strangers to Safe Mode. During the booting process of your Windows computer, simply press the F8 key to boot into Safe Mode. When in Safe mode, the user can fix a number of problems on the system.
1. Clean Boot State
Clean Boot State is used to diagnose and fix problems on Windows. If your computer is unable to boot normally or if during the boot process you receive an error message, then you might want to consider doing a “Clean Boot”.
When you start Clean Boot, your Windows computer will start using the available driver settings and the Startup program. And when your computer starts up with the available driver settings, some programs won’t work as you expected.
The Clean-boot troubleshooting is designed specifically for performance issues. To do the Clean-boot troubleshooting, you have to go through a few extra steps and restart your computer after each step.
2. How to perform Clean Boot?
These steps may seem complicated at first glance, but following the step-by-step order will get you on the right track.
Use the following steps to perform Clean Boot in Windows 10.
1. Log on to the computer as an administrator. If you don’t have an administrator account, create one. Create an admin or local user account in Windows 10.
2. In the search box on the taskbar, type msconfig and select System Configuration from the results.
If the computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from following these steps. Only use the System Configuration utility to change advanced boot options on a computer with guidance from a Microsoft support engineer. Using the System Configuration utility may render the computer unusable.
1. On the Services tab of System Configuration , select Hide all Microsoft services , and then select Disable all .
2. On the Startup tab of System Configuration , select Open Task Manager .
3. In Task Manager Startup , for each startup item, select the item and then select Disable.
4. Close Task Manager.
5. On the Startup tab of System Configuration , select OK.
When you restart the computer, it will be in the Clean Boot environment. Follow the troubleshooting steps to install, uninstall, or run your application. Computers may temporarily lose some functionality while in a Clean Boot environment. Reset the computer to start normally after troubleshooting with Clean Boot and continue using that function.
Windows 8.1 and Windows 8
1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, then select Search. Or if you’re using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, and then select Search.
2. Type msconfig in the search box, and then select msconfig.
3. The remaining steps perform the same as Windows 10 above.
To perform Clean Boot State in Windows 7, first type msconfig in the Search box on the Start Menu, and then press Enter to open the System Configuration Utility.
On the System Configuration Utility window, click the General tab and then click Selective Startup .
Uncheck Load Startup Items . Make sure that you have checked the 2 items Load System Services and Use Original boot configuration .
In the next step, click the Services tab, check Hide All Microsoft Services , and then click Disable all .
Click Apply / OK , then restart your computer. At this point, Windows will boot into Clean Boot State, where you can find out which applications, programs or software are the “culprits” causing the error and try to fix the problems. you are experiencing.
Also on the General tab you can uncheck Load System Services , then click Apply / OK and restart your computer.
To configure Windows to a normal boot state, simply undo the action.
See some more articles below:
- Troubleshoot System Restore not working on Windows 10/8/7
- Everything about starting Windows in Safe Mode
- Start Windows 7, 8, 10 in Safe Mode without the F8 key