The BCD, a database, can be used to load and run the operating system. In boot modes, the BCD is placed in different locations: For UEFI boot, the BCD file is located at / EFI / Microsoft / Boot / BCD on the EFI system partition. For BIOS booting, it is located in / boot / BCD on the active partition
If there is something wrong with the BCD file, other than the ” Boot Configuration Data File Is Missing ” error, you may get the same BCD boot error in Windows 10 like “ The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors. Error Code: 0xc000000f ”and“ The Boot Configuration Data file does not contain valid information for an operating system. Error code: 0xc0000098 ”.
- The cause of the error “Boot Configuration Data File Is Missing”
- How to fix “Boot Configuration Data File Is Missing” error
- Fix “Boot Configuration Data File Is Missing” without CD / DVD
The cause of the error “Boot Configuration Data File Is Missing”
After realizing the importance of the BCD file, refer to the following context to know what could damage the BCD file and cause the error The Boot Configuration Data file is missing some required information :
- Expand the active system partition
- Hard drive failure
- Off suddenly
- Etc ..
To fix error 0xc000034 in Windows 10/8/7, the server will provide simple and valid methods. You can choose one or more options, depending on the specific situation.
How to fix “Boot Configuration Data File Is Missing” error
Method 1. Fix BCD error by Startup Repair
If you have a Windows installation CD / DVD, you can fix the error automatically through Startup Repair. The detailed steps are given below:
1. Insert the Windows 10 installation disc into the computer and boot from it.
2. When Windows is loading the file and the Starting Windows screen finishes, select your language, time, currency, and keyboard or other input method.
3. Go to Repair your computer> Troubleshoot> Advanced options> Startup Repair .
4. Patiently wait for the operating system to be repaired.
Method 2. Fix BCD error by Command Prompt
If Startup Repair didn’t help, you can try to fix the error manually via Command Prompt.
Proceed as follows:
1. Go to Repair your computer> Troubleshoot> Advanced options> Command Prompt .
2. Repair MBR by running the following commands:
bootrec.exe /fixmbr bootrec.exe /fixboot bootrec.exe /scanos bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
Or delete and rebuild the BCD by entering the commands below (press the Enter key after each command):
attrib –r –s –hc: bootbcd del c: bootbcd bcdboot c: windows
3. Reboot the computer.
Method 3. Set active for Windows partition
Sometimes, the partition on which Windows is installed is not set active will result in Windows unable to boot and give you the error message “ The Boot Configuration Data file is missing some required information ”. So just setting active Windows partition will solve the problem.
Go to Command Prompt, type the following commands one by one and press Enter :
- list disk
- select disk # ( # is the number of the system drive)
- list volume
- select volume # ( # is the number of system volume)
Fix “Boot Configuration Data File Is Missing” without CD / DVD
What if you don’t have Windows installation media? What if you are not familiar with CUI? Do not worry! You can realize how to fix BCD errors like The Boot Configuration Data file is missing in Windows 10 via GUI tool – AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard.
This is a comprehensive and powerful tool for disk and partition management on Windows 10/8/7, XP and Vista, allowing you to create MBR bootable media and rebuild.
- Download AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard
Step 1 . Plug the USB into a working Windows computer. Install and run AOMEI Partition Assistant on the computer. Click Create Bootable Media and follow the prompts of the wizard.
Step 2 . A bootable USB connection made through AOMEI Partition Assistant with an unbootable computer and entering the BIOS to boot Windows from a USB.
Step 3 . You will be in the main control panel of AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard. Locate the drive to be repaired and select Rebuild MBR.
Step 4 . Choose an appropriate MBR based on the Windows operating system.
Step 5 . Click Apply> Proceed to perform the operation. After repairing, restart the computer.
– This tool allows you to extend C drive without deleting, cloning partition in Windows and checking for bad sectors, etc.
– To experience more advanced features like lost partition recovery, etc., you can upgrade to Professional version.