Windows 10 comes pre-installed with a cross-platform tool called PowerShell. This is a very important tool that helps users perform many tasks just by entering simple commands.
This article will guide you on how to disable PowerShell on Windows 10.
1. Disable PowerShell on Windows 10 using Security Policy
Local Security Policy allows you to disable access to PowerShell features in Windows 10. Here are the steps:
- Hit the Start button then enter Local Security Policy and click on the first search result
- Search in the box on the right then expand the Software Restriction Policies section
- Right click on Additional Rules and select the New Hash Rule option
- If you don’t find a way to expand Software Restriction Policies then right click on it and choose New Software Restriction Policies
In the New Hash Rule window, click Browse . Now, press Windows + E to open File Explorer and enter the following path in the address bar.
You will have access to 32-bit version of PowerShell. Select powershell.exe in the list and click Open> Apply> OK .
If you want to disable PowerShellISE on your Windows 10 PC, you need to choose powershell_ise.exe (instead of powershell.exe ) from the list.
After you have completed the steps above, reboot your computer to save the changes. Once opened, PowerShell on your computer will be disabled.
2. Disable PowerShell on Windows 10 using Group Policy
Local Group Policy Editior is a powerful tool on Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise with the ability to perform many tasks on your computer. Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise users can use Group Policy to disable PowerShell by following these steps:
- Press Windows + R to open a Run dialog box
gpedit.mscinto Run and press Enter . In the Local Group Policy Editor window, go to the following path:
User Configuration > Administrative Templates > System
- Switch to the box on the right and double-click on Don’t run specified Windows applications
- In the new window that appears, click the Enabled option. Next go to Options and click the Show button
- Now you need to open new elements in Value column, type powershell.exe and click OK button to disable PowerShell
- You can disable PowerShellISE by entering powershell_ise.exe and pressing OK
- If you want to disable PowerShell 7 you need to enter pwsh.exe and click OK
- Finally, click Apply> OK to save changes
- After you complete the above steps, you will no longer be able to access PowerShell.
3. Disable PowerShell 7 on Windows 10
If you have PowerShell 7 on your computer, you can disable it by following these steps:
- Press the Windows + I key combination to open Settings
- In Settings click on Apps
- Next select Apps & features
- Scroll down and look for the PowerShell app
- Click the Uninstall button
- Uninstall confirmation
Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the app uninstall process. Once done, PowerShell 7 and its data will be removed from your computer.
I wish you success and invite you to refer to many other great tips on Quantum: