Normally, to create a new Administrator (admin) account for Windows 10, you first need to log into Windows 10 with an admin account or a regular account with admin rights. However, there are some cases where you cannot log into Windows 10 for reasons such as forgotten password, lost admin rights …
So how can you create a new admin account that will help you regain login rights to your Windows 10 computer? This article will guide you through creating an admin account when you cannot log into Windows 10.
- Create an admin account for Windows 10 using Command Prompt
- Create an admin account for Windows 10 using a USB or iSumsoft installation CD
Create an admin account for Windows 10 using Command Prompt
Because you can’t log into Windows 10, you can’t open Command Prompt in Windows 10. But don’t worry, you can open Command Prompt on the login screen with the help of the Windows 10 installer.
Step 1: Replace utilman.exe with cmd.exe with installer
- Start up your computer using the Windows 10 installer (USB or CD). If you don’t have the installer you can create it with Media Creation Tool or burning Windows 10’s ISO file to USB. How you can refer to the article below
- Instructions on how to create USB install Windows 10
- When the Windows Setup screen appears, press Shift + F10 to open the cmd.exe window. Then you run the following two commands to replace utilman.exe with cmd.exe .
move c:windowssystem32utilman.exe c:
copy c:windowssystem32cmd.exe c:windowssystem32utilman.exe
- Finally, run the wpeutil reboot command and disconnect the installer to reboot the computer
Step 2: Open Command Prompt from Windows 10 login window
Since the installer has been disconnected, your computer will boot normally. When you reach the login screen, click the Ease of Access icon in the lower right corner of the screen. Command Prompt will appear if you have done all the steps correctly in step 1.
Step 3: Create a new admin account using command lines
Now, you can create a new admin account for Windows 10 by running the following two lines of commands. Please replace user_name with the account name you want to set up.
net user user_name /add
net localgroup administrators user_name /add
After a few seconds, the newly created admin account will show up in the lower left corner of the screen and you can use it to log into Windows 10.
Step 4: Restore utilman.exe file
After you finished creating admin account, you need to restore utilman.exe file. Without doing this, you won’t be able to use the Utility Manager on the Windows 10 login screen, and a bad guy can use the Command Prompt to make harmful changes to your computer.
To restore utilman.exe you follow these steps:
- Restart the computer from the Windows 10 installer
- When the Windows Setup screen appears, press Shift + F10 to open Command Prompt
- Type move c: utilman.exe c: windows system32 utilman.exe and press Enter.
- Next type yes and press Enter
- Disconnect the installer and reboot the machine
Create an admin account for Windows 10 using a USB or iSumsoft installation CD
Step 1: Create USB or iSumsoft installation CD
- Use another computer that you have the right to login to your admin account to download and install iSumsoft Windows Password Refxier.
- ISumsoft Windows Password Refxier download link
- Run the program and follow the instructions on the screen to create a USB or iSumsoft installation CD
Step 2: Start the computer from the USB or iSumsoft installation CD
- Plug the USD or iSumsoft installation CD into the computer to create an admin account
- Restart the computer and access the Boot menu or BIOS to set the computer to boot from iSumsoft
Step 3: Create an admin account for Windows 10
When the iSumsoft Windows Password Refxier screen appears, click the Add User button. Enter the username and password (optional) and click OK. The program will automatically create an admin account for you.
Step 4: Login to your computer with the newly created admin account
Once created, your computer will reboot normally and you will see the newly created admin account in the lower left corner of the screen. You can use this account to log into Windows 10.
I wish you success and invite you to refer to other great tips on Quantum: