One of the best ways you can improve your PC’s performance is by optimizing the drive. Windows includes features that help optimize the different types of drives your PC uses today. No matter which drive type your PC uses, Windows will automatically choose the right optimization for your drive.
By default, Optimize Drives, formerly known as Disk Defragmenter, runs automatically on a weekly schedule at a time when set to automatic maintenance. But you can also manually optimize the drives on your PC.
You can enable or disable scheduled optimization runs, choose how often to run, and which drives you want to optimize on a regular schedule.
In this guide, Macworld will show you how to change settings for the Optimize Drives schedule the way you want in Windows 10.
You must be logged in as an admin to be able to change the settings for Optimize Drives.
How to change schedule settings for Optimize Drives in Windows 10
Here’s how to do it:
1. Do step 2 or 3 below depending on how you want to open Optimize Drives.
2. Open Optimize Drives from the File Explorer ribbon
A) Open This PC in File Explorer (Win + E).
B) Select any hard drive, click the Drive Tools Manage tab, click the Optimize button in the ribbon and go to step 4 below.
3. Open Optimize Drives from Drive Properties
A) Open This PC in File Explorer.
B) Right-click or press and hold on any hard drive, then select Properties.
C) Click the Tools tab, choose Optimize and go to step 4 below.
4. Click the Change settings button .
5. Perform step 6 (off) or step 7 (on) below to enable or disable scheduled optimization running regularly.
6. To turn off scheduled drive optimization, uncheck the Run on a schedule box and go to step 8 below.
7. To enable scheduled drive optimization:
A) Check the Run on a schedule box.
B) Select the daily, weekly (default) or monthly (corresponding to Daily, Weekly or Monthly ) you want.
C) Select (default) or uncheck Notify if three consecutive scheduled runs are missed .
D) Click the Choose button .
E) Select the drive you want to optimize on a regular schedule. Select all is the default setting.
F) Select (default) or uncheck Automatically optimize new drives , click OK and go to step 8 below.
8. Click OK.
9. You can now close Optimize Drives if you want.
- How to change the language system in Windows 10