You might want to know: Back up and restore data on a Windows Phone 8 device
System Image on Windows 10 allows you to restore your computer’s previous state in the unfortunate cases caused by the system. System Image will copy everything on your computer including Settings, Preferences, Documents, Applications, Registry settings – even your computer screen. System Image is not as flexible as the file backup. You cannot restore separate files from the System Image, however, they are an essential part of all important backup strategies.
How to create a backup with System Image on Windows 10
This tool allows you to save backups in different locations, such as inside a network folder or a secondary hard drive. It is recommended, however, to use a removable storage device, so that you can easily disconnect and store it in a safe place.
To create a full backup of Windows 10 using System Image, follow these steps:
1. Open Settings.
2. Click Update & Security .
3. Click Backup.
4. In the Looking for an older backup? , click the Go to Backup and Restore option (Windows 7) .
5. On the left panel, click the Create a system image option .
6. In Where do you want to save the backup? , select the On a hard disk option .
7. Using the On a hard disk drop-down menu, choose a location to save your Windows 10 full backup.
8. Click the Next button .
9. Select any additional drives you want to include in the backup (if available).
10. Click the Next button .
11. Click the Start backup button .
12. Click the No. button .
Quick note : After this process you’ll see the option to create a system repair disc, but since most devices no longer include an optical drive, you can skip the prompt. If you need to restore a backup, you can use a bootable USB to access the recovery environment.
13. Click the Close button .
Once you’ve completed the steps, the tool will create a backup of your computer, including everything on the primary hard drive as well as system-specific partitions and additional drives that you may have selected in the wizard. .
The System Image Backup tool uses Shadow Copy technology, which backs up files while they are open and applications running, which means you can continue working in the process.
The last step left is to disconnect the external hard drive that contains the backup and keep it in a safe place.
How to restore a backup using System Image on Windows 10
If you can’t start your computer or replace the primary hard drive, you can use a backup to restore your device to a working state.
To restore a backup on Windows 10, follow these steps:
1. Connect the backup drive to your computer.
2. Insert the bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive (or the disc containing the system repair files) into the device.
3. Start the device.
Quick Tip : If the computer does not boot into the Windows Setup wizard, you will need to change the system’s Basic Input / Output System (BIOS) or Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) settings . You can use this guide to enter BIOS / UEFI. However, these settings vary by manufacturer and even by device model. So check out the computer manufacturer’s support website for more specific details.
4. On the Windows Setup page, click the Next button .
5. Click the Repair your computer option in the lower left corner.
6. Click the Troubleshoot option .
7. Click the System Image Recovery option .
8. Click Windows 10 to select it as the target operating system.
9. On the Re-image your computer page , select the option Use the latest available system image .
Quick tip : You can use the Select a system image option , if you have multiple backups and are trying to restore an old one.
10. Click the Next button .
11. (Optional) If you are restoring a backup to a new hard drive, you may also carefully select the Format and repartition disks option before restoring the backup.
Quick Tip : If you intend to select this option, you may also use the Exclude disks option to prevent formatting of other data drives already connected to the computer.
12. Click the Next button .
13. Click the Finish button .
14. Click the Yes button .
After you complete the steps, the process of restoring your device using the previous backup will begin. The time it takes to complete the restore will depend on the amount of data and your hardware’s configuration.
When restoring your device from backup, be aware that any interruptions or errors may prevent the process from completing, making the system unusable. To minimize the chance of having a problem, make sure that the laptop is connected to a power source and in the case of a desktop make sure it is connected to a backup battery.
Once the restore is complete, if it’s been a while since you last created a full backup, you should go to Settings> Update & Security> Windows Update and click the Check for Updates button to download it. the latest security patches.
No need to spend much time, you can now your computer from system failure. System Image helps the computer return to the best state, “returning” everything that has damaged your computer system.