Device Manager is a useful tool that allows you to do things like: find unknown hardware devices, update drivers, disable hardware components from within the computer, etc.
To use it, you must first know how to open the tool. Here are 9 methods that you can use to open Device Manager in Windows 10, including using commands, shortcuts and search.
- 1. Open Device Manager using Windows 10 Search
- 2. Start Device Manager using Command Prompt (CMD) or PowerShell
- 3. Launch Device Manager with the Run command
- 4. Open Device Manager using the WinX menu
- 5. Run Device Manager from the Devices and Printers section of Control Panel
- 6. Open Device Manager from Control Panel using icon view
- 7. Open Device Manager from Computer Management
- 8. Launch Device Manager using Cortana
- 9. Open Device Manager from This PC
1. Open Device Manager using Windows 10 Search
One of the fastest ways to run Device Manager in Windows 10 is to use the search box near the Start button. In it, type “device” or “device manager” and click or tap on the appropriate search result.
2. Start Device Manager using Command Prompt (CMD) or PowerShell
If you prefer command line environment, first open Command Prompt (also known as CMD) or PowerShell. Then, in the PowerShell or Command Prompt window, type one of these three commands and press
Enter : devmgmt.msc, mmc devmgmt.msc or control hdwwiz.cpl .
All of these Device Manager commands work the same.
3. Launch Device Manager with the Run command
Open a Run window (press
R simultaneously on your keyboard), then enter one of the following three commands in the Open field: devmgmt.msc, mmc devmgmt.msc or control hdwwiz.cpl .
Enter or click or click OK , and Device Manager will open immediately.
Open the WinX menu by pressing the
X keys on the keyboard simultaneously. Alternatively, you can also right-click on the Start button for the same result. Then, click or tap the Device Manager shortcut .
5. Run Device Manager from the Devices and Printers section of Control Panel
If you like the old style Control Panel, open it and navigate to the category of Hardware and Sound settings . Then, click on the Device Manager link found under Devices and Printers .
6. Open Device Manager from Control Panel using icon view
There is also another method to access Device Manager using Control Panel. After you open the Control Panel, click View by Category in the upper right corner.
In the menu that opens, select Large icons or Small icons, depending on what you like.
You will be shown a list of shortcuts and one of them is Device Manager . Click it.
7. Open Device Manager from Computer Management
You can access Device Manager from within another Windows 10 tool, called Computer Management . Open Computer Management and in the navigation panel on the left, select Computer Management> System Tools> Device Manager .
8. Launch Device Manager using Cortana
If you’ve enabled Cortana, you can ask the virtual assistant to open Device Manager directly for you. Click the tool’s button from the taskbar or say ” Hey Cortana “, then use your voice to issue a ” Open Device Manager ” request.
9. Open Device Manager from This PC
The last method is to use This PC. Open File Explorer and on the navigation panel from the left, right-click (or press and hold) on This PC . Then, click Manage in the context menu that appears.
That action will open Computer Management. All you have to do next is select Device Manager on the left side of the window.